[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Even Safaricom these days thinks KIXP is non-existent!

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Wed Apr 11 09:09:00 EAT 2012

Hi Prof,

Very good points you raise. Please see my comments inline.

On 4/11/12 6:35 AM, Meoli Kashorda wrote:
> Dear John G and Michuki,
>
> Why are we not using traffic statistics to answer all these questions?
> How much traffic are the different ASes at KIXP generating or picking?
> Give us the statistics in the last one month then we shall know if they
> are really at KIXP! How much of the traffic is due to Google or Akamai
> caches?

Majority of the networks connected at KIXP are eyeball networks. The
only content based networks being KRA and KENIC. By extension Google
Cache is available via KDN. Of these the Google cache is responsible for
at least 80% of the aggregate traffic at KIXP. The rest of the traffic
is split across http and email access between the different ASN's with
KRA being the largest generator of http traffic.

Akamai traffic is not yet finalized therefore no measurements are
available at the moment. We however estimate that it will equal to the
current 600 - 800mbps of traffic generated by the Google cache.

> The real problem in Kenya is not at the KIXP, it is in the ASes and user
> network that are not hosting or generating much local traffic.

Well observed. The challenge is attracting International content
providers by leveraging the large eyeball network at KIXP.

> Who is
> really promoting local content and local hosting? That is the area that
> needs to be regulated not IXP - read about I-Node in Japan to see how to
> support the SMEs that will generate content. I predict that the Kenyan
> data centers will soon start offering IXP services without further
> regulation.

This is where KIXP plans to be at every carrier neutral data center in
Kenya. However, as your rightfully observe content development and
hosting is something that needs strategic engagement.

The bit i like is that hosting has acquired a new buzz word aka "cloud".
If only all those taking the cloud services would settle for Kenyan
based cloud solutions.

FYI, Africa has an estimated 84,000 square meters of raised floor data
center capacity or 39% of London’s capacity is 215,000 square meters (by
end 2011). Most of the space/capacity being located in South Africa.

This means that we need to look at hosting from a strategic point of
view if we are remain competitive in the region.

The probable place to start is by repatriating the "local content" thats
hosted abroad. But this will require incentives for the content owners
to consider the option.

> By the way, the Gambia is very far and it is very expensive to get
> there! Start by visiting the 10 top ASes  or the ASes that seem to be
> having problems - not hard since over 90% of Internet traffic generated
> by mobile operators according to CCK.

This is an ongoing process and we are in constant communications with
the members. For instance, what we observed is that the routing issues
experienced are as a result of the changes implemented during the
submarine cable cuts.

It is evident that training needs to be done to resolve the technical
issues.

For the next phase, the issue is how to grow content and that is not
just a policy issue but a business consideration as well.

Regards,

Michuki.