[kictanet] Interconnection to Other Telcos

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:47:19 EAT 2012

An interconnect clearing house for Kenya is long overdue. And independent
business that offers facilities to handle and manage technical connections
(simplifying and reducing the number of connections needed for bilateral
agreement) and financial settlements in a timely manner.

But given the complex web of powerful interests that must be untangled to
make this happen, such an initiative may never see the light of day....

Brian

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Mwaniki Njoroge <mwanikig at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dr. Ndemo,
>
> Can you or anyone one in the forum please clarify the rules for the
> Interconnection with other Carriers in Kenya.  Especially the 4 Mobile
> operators and in the case of Orange .... for both.
>
> It would appear to me that given the current mode of operation, the
> Interconnections are handled more like a Catel type of operation.
> Interconnection to these companies unfornately is like being inducted to
> some kind of a priveledged members only club yet CCK is proud to offer you
> a licence to operate.
>
> It's similar to being sold Tickets to concert legitimately but when you
> get to the Concert, you're informed that this is by invitation only.  What
> a Joke! this such failure in policy, and or lack of enforcement of if there
> is one it goes beyond reason.
>
> It shocked me recently when I was talking to one of the Very Senior
> Executives at Orange, who bluntly told me and I quote.... "We don't listen
> to them" implying CCK this was after I informed this official our company
> Enterprise Data Freedom Ltd. (EDF) had filed grievances with the CCK.  And
> I was like sure you don't because its been over a year since we initially
> complained to CCK and nothing has come out it.  What are we paying CCK for
> I wonder if they can't even safe guard the interests of their stakeholders?
>
> I hate to bring this up but I'm left no options, my background in this
> business has been in the United States and as we may all be able to attest
> to, they're very advanced when it comes to communications....but this is
> not because the government incubates some Telcos and turns the face away on
> the small players....NO! NO! this is simply because they have a government
> that believes ideas come BIG and SMALL and the environment they create is
> one that suits all participants regardless of the amount of Taxes they pay
> to the Govt.
>
> It's a great idea for this Goventment to encourage growth in the ICT
> sector but if field unto which the game is played at is not even, then a
> lot of those great ideas that come from the small and agile companies.
>
> Dr. PS I have had a chat with you on this matter one on one in your office
> but I cat tell you that even I did all you recommended, nothing has
> happened.  So your comment to the general public on this matter would be
> very much appreciated.
>
> Mwaniki Njoroge,
> CEO, EDF
> mwaniki at edf.co.ke
> www.edf.co.ke
> www.yealink.com

Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
cell:  +254715964281
blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com
meta-blog: http://mashilingi.blogspot.com

"Give us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand
for, because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything."