[kictanet] FW: allAfrica.com: Kenya: Nairobi Among Cities With Worst Jams

Marie-Ann Kinyanjui MARIEKIN at ke.ibm.com
Tue Sep 13 09:52:54 EAT 2011

Listers,

More information is available in the attached report.

Some key findings from the research on Nairobi:
- 71% of people in Nairobi drive alone to work or school
- 74% drive alone to other destinations
- Highway most predominantly used (58%) followed by downtown city streets
(45%)
- Most drive between 8-16kms, average is 13.1 kms
- Most spend between 30-45 minutes on the road.  The longest jams in
Nairobi last two hours.
- Majority of commuters leave their homes between 6-8am (74%).  A growing
segment (12%) leave their home between 5-6am to beat the traffic
- Most commuters (40%) start their journeys home between 5-6pm
- Generally, Nairobi residents feel that traffic has worsened over the last
three years
- More commuters would car pool if the price of petrol rose by 20%.  57%
already think petrol prices are too high.
- 70% of people in Nairobi increased their use of public transport in the
last year
- Rude drivers beat out unreliable jams and stop-start traffic as the most
annoying part of commuting in Nairobi
- 63% of respondents said that improving public transport would be valuable
- 61% of commuters believe that traffic is negatively affecting their
performance, taking more time away from their families, work and exercise
- The majority of commuters would support traffic restrictions to downtown
areas

(See attached file: Frustration Rising_IBM 2011 Commuter Pain Report.pdf)

             Suraj Shah
             <suraj at surajshah
             .co.ke>                                                    To
             Sent by:                 Marie-Ann Kinyanjui/Kenya/IBM at IBMZA
             kictanet-bounces                                           cc
             +mariekin=ke.ibm         KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions
             .com at lists.kicta         <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
             net.or.ke                                             Subject
                                      Re: [kictanet] FW: allAfrica.com:
                                      Kenya: Nairobi Among Cities With
             13/09/2011 08:41         Worst Jams
             AM

I absolutely agree with Steve here.  We don't even posses simple courtesy
like when approaching a crossroad, to allow the person who has reached the
crossroad junction first to traverse first and then the other and then the
other.  What can we do, as private sector, to instill some civic education
amongst drivers?  Any ideas?

Suraj

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/suraj%40surajshah.co.ke

for
regulation.
> The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector in
support
> of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

online
> that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth, share
> knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not
spam,
> do not market your wares or qualifications.

Unsubscribe or change your options at
http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/mariekin%40ke.ibm.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for
people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors