[kictanet] Freedom of Information laws/ e- discussion continued

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:19:51 EAT 2011

Harry
The right is worded in a way that guarantees every citizen access to information held by the state - in most cases it is the state that holds certan infromation like on census or statistics. The State has a monopoly in some cases - for example commissions and Inquiries - which historically in Kenya, the state has at times witheld the findings of such commissions.

The right extends to getting information held by another person, which is useful for a person to exercise his/her fundamental rights and freedoms.

I am sure there are other views out there.

Rgds
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!