[kictanet] Daylight Robbery along Southern Bypass - Nairobi

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Thu Nov 24 21:29:01 EAT 2011

Hey Dennis,

I think what we can all agree in principle is that we need to do something
about this and fast enough. As we all know,

it is happening all around us. We have just heard another account of a
similar ordeal on this very list. How many go

unreported.? And I also suppose the account from Kago below seems miles
apart from Adar's, or is it just me?

I really think we can get into the business of finding a point of
convergence for the various tools we have at our disposal

as the ICT fraternity together with other service providers and make a
meaningful difference around our Streets, corridors,

Roads, Highways, Estates etc by installing these security systems. If all
else fails, then please if we know these areas

are to be avoided we should announce on big billboards, before anyone else
drives/walks up those roads. But this is

really defeatist in my view.

In fact if you could ask me, I would propose each Camera surveillance sector
should be publicly accessible on a web

portal, where one can possibly carry out a quick scan around just in case,
before driving up that road, possibly also to

avoid road snarl ups, trouble spot areas, or any other queer looking
activity. Not to mention, security organs will be on

the watch and this will act as a deterrence to a lot things.

I'm still hoping  we can get a comment from the PS, on just how possible it
is to bring various stakeholders with Govt.

providing leadership to thrash out this issue, and come up with some kind of
way forward or action plan..

Let's beef up our community policing effort and build a safer society.

Harry