[kictanet] Of Vision 2030 and Misplaced Priorities

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:38:01 EAT 2011

Going back to this case, it seems that a Post Mortem would have revealed
cause of death. While some say drug interaction may have been the cause,
Gachagua did not indicate which drug the deceased took.

I have been reading a few documents on Malaria and the case described above
is more associated with death from Malaria - does this mean the medicine
failed to work? Kenya is also listed as a multi-drug resistant country.

As for malaria vaccine, a pal working at a KEMRI Malaria project in Kilifi
tells me that the Malaria vaccine seems to be several years away. They say
the Malaria parasite is yet to be documented and studied sufficiently hence
not much is known about it. At the moment, KEMRI is studying resistance to
the disease by looking at those who are rarely affected in epidemic areas.

Here is a recent experience where I was prescribed the powerful drugs for
the wrong disease (misdiagnosis). Our health sector is already in a mess as
all sorts of drugs are available over the counter while "hospitals" are busy
prescribing the remainder in abandon.
http://blog.denniskioko.com/2011/06/medicines-in-kenya-cure-or-poison.html