[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Four--Appointment of Chair/Procedure for appointment)

k.k. ombati kaykerubo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:32:29 EAT 2011

Hi,
Firstly,I think its unrealistic to decide that the chairman of the MCK
must be lawyer and one qualified to be a judge at that.That is too
exclusive...i think the postion of chairperson should be open to
anyone sitting on the Council.

Secondly,the Act has failed to state how the appointment of
chairperson will be done,will it by election by existing council
members or nomination or are they to be appointed by the appointing
authority.

thirdly,to mandate the JSC to appoint members of the MCK is oustide
the constitutional mandate of the JSC,I would propose that
professional bodies drawn from those professions listed under
Section7(c) together with KUJ,Editors Guild and Media Owners
Association etc...each nominate someone to take up a position in MCK
with a number of seats,say four,reserved for media professionals only.