[kictanet] ICT incubator - Expressions of interest

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:18:32 EAT 2011

Thanks McTim for good insights

I still think it is too early to conclude though. Consider the following :-

   1. Strathmore - am not sure they have had time to graduate any incubatee
   as yet (any updates?)
   2. NaiLab has not taken off as yet. Their space (on the 4th floor of
   Bishop Magua house?) is still an empty hall.
   3. mLab (infoDev, iHub, UoN, Web Foundation, eMobilis) is still at
   infancy. Currently building out on the empty space on the 3rd flr of Bishop
   Magua House.
   4. ictpark.com (Any updates on some graduates will help)
   5. KIRDI<http://www.kirdi.go.ke/Departments/TechnologyTransferExtensionServices/ICTIncubation.aspx>
-
   (Any updates on some graduates will help)

Perhaps you mean that the above and other incubation programs are founded on
wrong premises.  Otherwise am thinking we could do with a little more time
before ruling out the option of increasing business incubation services for
the ICT sector. Remember a while back we had Bwana PS chastise us on the
need for youth to embrace entrepreneurship. Perhaps these incubation
services are the required impetus to entrench the required entrepreneurship
culture.

Best Regards

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > McTim,
> > You should have raised that issue over 4 months ago when the Kenya ICT
> Board
> > invited interested parties to send a proposal for the development of ICT
> > incubators.
>

> I did point it out to the WB, rather too obliquely perhaps.
>

> > Just like with chicken egg incubators you cannot have too many,
>
> I think that is an empirical question.
>

> every year
> > our institutions of higher learning pour out thousands of graduates who
> need
> > somewhere to develop their skills.  An incubator only hatches the chicks
> > after that they are supposed to take in new eggs.  If the chicks are
> allowed
> > to stay in the incubator then it purpose and objective are defeated.
> > As had been indicated the funding was to come from the World Bank or some
> > other donor.  What do you suggest that the KICT Board should do with
> those
> > funds?
>

> They would have to give it back if it came from a donor.  If it
> didn't, it seems that some money needs to be spent to persuade  ISPs
> to deploy IPv6, so maybe they could use it for dual stack CPE
> software.  It would be quite a coup for kenyan coders to do this.
>
> >  Can you please also furnish us with some of the ICT incubators in Kenya
>
> Off the top of my head there is:
> Strathmore
> NaiLab
> UoN/ihub/InfoDev/emobilis
> ictpark.com
> KIRDI
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

My Blog - www.gmeltdown.com
Keep on doing what you know is right ...