[kictanet] 4th submarine cable to Kenya: France Telecom & LION-2

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 22:54:12 EAT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Muchiri Nyaggah <muchiri at semacraft.com>wrote:

> The last mile maybe solved for us if CCK follows fast after the US FCC's
> heels to license super wi-fi. The equipment for it should be in the market
> within a year or so perhaps.
>
> http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/09/14/fcc.super.wifi/

yes, well those frequencies are already allocated in KE for UHF analogue
television broadcasting the last time I looked at:
http://www.cck.go.ke/licensing/downloads/Kenya_TOFA_2008_Edition.pdf

Not that it couldn't be changed to free up some frequencies in the 470 – 806
MHz neighborhood, but this "super-wifi" has the potential to be extremely
disruptive (in a good way for consumers), and I'm not sure African
regulators are willing to upset the current apple cart.

This thread is supposed to be about LION cable, which already seems to be
connected to Africa at Mtunzini (I may be wrong), but it would seem that it
would be trivial to interconnect SEACOM and EASSy there. I guess the Mombasa
link is for redundancy?? (Or maybe FT just has a cable laying ship with
nothing to do?)

http://lion.orange.com/default/EN/all/lion_en/index.htm  is the PR website.

--
Cheers,