[kictanet] The big Kwaheri: reflecting on 10 years on the MJ10yr safari and his-tory - day 5

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Fri Oct 15 05:53:25 EAT 2010

In an attempt to reduce the digital divide between our rural and urban folks, the Government through funds borrowed from the World Bank (WB) came up with the Digital Village (DV)idea.  WB had an implementation framework that did not match the Government's ambition.

Impatient with WB framework, GoK approached Telcos to assit with the DV project.  Within one month Safaricom had upgraded 500 of its Mpesa agencies into DVs in the process changing the value proposition of DVs.  The opportunity created for these entrepreneurs is limitless.  From e-learning to e-health rural Kenya may never be the same.  I am confident that Safaricom will see value in Rural Kenya and scale up the number of its partners.

We may be busy that we have not fully exposed much of what has happened with the growth of mobile telephony but there is need for an economist to explain the Mpesa phenomenon.  For a start Mpesa has increased the money supply in the economy thus increasing the liquidity in the banks.  Greater liquidity means the supply of money exceeds demand.  This is what has impacted on the level of interest rates.

Muriuki, perhaps we  should try to skew the debate a long something that explains the circumstances we are in and how Michael contributed.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®