[kictanet] Copyright Infringement

James Kagwe kagwejg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 09:50:37 EAT 2010

Skunkers,

A close friend of mine was slapped with the email below from CSI: NY.
Guys watch out.. big brother is watching. My question is whether Kenyan
copyright laws are being enforced and what is likely to happen in case
the guy is taken to court.

James

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RE:  Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Television Series Entitled
       CSI: NY

Dear CompanyA IP Administrators:

We are writing this letter on behalf of the relevant subsidiaries of CBS
Corporation.

We have received information that an individual has utilized the
below-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer
downloads of copyrighted television programs through a "peer-to-peer"
service, including such title(s) as:

   CSI: NY

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television
programs constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act,
Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3).  This conduct may also
violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty
obligations.

Since you own this IP address (000.000.00.000), we request that you
immediately do the following:

1) Remove or disable access to the individual who has engaged in the
conduct described above; and

2) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse
Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.

We also would request that you inform the individual who engaged in this
conduct that legitimate copies of CBS content are widely available for
viewing online, for example on www.cbs.com <http://www.cbs.com> and many
other sites that participate in the CBS Audience Network.

On behalf of CBS, owner of the exclusive rights in the copyrighted
material at issue in this notice, we hereby state that we have a good
faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not
authorized by CBS, its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, that the information in
this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on
behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth
in this notification.

Please direct any end user queries to the following:

CopyrightQs at mediasentry.com

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this
matter. Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

A Kempe
Enforcement Coordinator
MediaSentry