[kictanet] the budget and ICT

ikua at lpakenya.org ikua at lpakenya.org
Fri Jun 11 09:20:18 EAT 2010

Listers,
The Government will spend 1.3B to buy 300 computers in each of the 210
constituencies. That means that each of the 63,000 computers will cost
the taxpayer KSh 20,634/=. This is a very good initiative.

Now, they say that these computers will be assembled by institutions.
I just hope this does not mean they will go for clones. They would do
much better with branded, refurbished computers. As far as I know, the
minister did not mention anything touching on used computers in the
budget.

Now then, at this price, there is absolutely no allowance for software
purchases. Which is all well as these computers can be loaded with
open source software that will give much more value to the investment
anyway. So we will be watching keenly to see what kind of deals
Microsoft will try to push at the government to include their software
in these computers, probably at a ¨small price¨.

The open source community is available and willing to advise the
Government on the best way of ensuring that tax payer money is used
prudently for the benefit of this country.

Ikua
LPA-Kenya