[kictanet] Lessons from Idlelo4

Okuti Boroa okuti at asili.co.ug
Thu Jun 3 10:51:22 EAT 2010

Hello all,

I am new on the list and really enjoy your discussions, we do have one
in Uganda too called I-Network.

The subject of Open Source is indeed a very interesting one for me
especially, I am currently running the centre in Uganda "The East
African Center for Open Source Software" and have learned lots of
lessons, just off my head;

I have learned that the applications are more popular at server level
and specialized solutions like websites, management systems and others
of that kind.

When it comes to office (including email, word processing, spreadsheets
and presentations as well as media applications), we note that Microsoft
has quite a strong hold apple & Linux still run far behind.

It is however my belief that for learning institutions, innovation and
control it may be wiser to take the open source route and hence this may
be the way for Africans since the source code is available for the
learners, innovators and controllers to work with.

Otherwise the issue of usability is just a mind set one. In Uganda Suse
Linux Enterprise Desktop and Ubuntu are fast becoming mans daily bread.

Lets see what evolves as many start to provide office applications
including the likes of google.

Kind regards

Richard