[kictanet] Safaricom partners with KPLC to expand its data footprint

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:28:43 EAT 2010

Walu,

You sound unusually alarmist - comments follow:

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Harry, MM et al,
>
> Dont lose sight of what McTim was asking- he wondered if Kenya Power will
> be availing this dark-fiber to other players in the industry (open-access
> model). Knowing Safcom's (MJs?) track record (they fight hard, Microsoft
> Style), I wouldnt be suprised if they have nailed this deal with KPLC on an
> "exclusive" basis.

Since the optical fiber KPLC has is limited, they must have a certain
criteria for 'awarding' it to 3rd parties

> What's worse, the regulator (CCK) can only watch from the sidelines because
> he would be told that what KPLC does is a matter of another ministry (of
> Energy) - who ofcourse have no clue on matters pertaining Data packets
> (their menu is electrical power not Internet).
>
> KPLC actually has a 'special' license from CCK under which they are able to
enter into arrangements such as the one with Safaricom. The reason I say it
is special is because it has certain restrictions unique to KPLC -
specifically that they shouldn't provide services to end users - only to
other operators.

They might not have much clue as far as data packets are concerned, but they
have the best fiber optic engineers in the country as they have been
maintaining their own fiber network for donkey years. Much longer than
anyone else in the industry.

My 3 cents,

Mblayo

Brian Munyao Longwe