[kictanet] Kenya: Consumers furious over high internet prices

Marie-Anne Kinyanjui mkinyanjui at nation.co.ke
Thu Sep 10 12:15:03 EAT 2009

I believe it would be more constructive for us to wait for the cables to be fully operational - by this I mean real and active point to point connections are made from the fibre to our offices...  in other words- LIVE connectivity.
In the case of TEAMS - and in some cases, Seacom - this has not happened yet.
Let's give the players time to get these connections in place.  Rome was not built in day.
Once they do, and if prices have not come down as significantly as promised, then yes, one or two of us will indeed have a case to answer.

But let's not forget that there are some players are appear very keen to get prices down to the levels promised.
We should be active consumers and let market forces reign.

If some players do not decrease their prices, we, as consumers, should logically move to those who have lowered prices to "acceptable" rates.  This is the scenario consumer activists should be fighting to achieve.

I believe this debate has digressed to become a personality/ ego match that does not add any real value to any of these forums.

Having said all that - I issue the standard disclaimer that these are my personal views and not those of the media house I work for.