[kictanet] My take: your opportunity own a laptop, , interest-free government facilitated loan

Solomon Mburu solo.mburu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 09:34:48 EAT 2009

My take on this one:

I would the govt give two choices, either go for a Laptop without any
Operating System, and you sort yourself on how you can acquire one and/or
pre-install trial OS's (assuming you'll go for window-based OS) or, go for
Alex's opinion. Pre-install a FOSS and let the consumers decide what they
want.

I gather there are people who cannot use any FOSS due to either ignorance or
not well acquainted with it's operations or still, being used to
Window-based OSs.

Giving people choices, will create an urge to diversify their needs.

2009/7/23 Victor Gathara <v-gathara at dfid.gov.uk>

> Alex
>
> Thanks for this. Have heard a lot about this project but scanty details.
> Couple of questions:
>
> - How does the lending institution confirm that the loans are for laptops
> and not other 'needs'; a kind of receipting system?
> - How to prevent individuals/institutions making money off this i.e. buy
> laptops to sell on at a profit? Branding?
>
> Probably all been worked out but as the article says we would like to have
> more info on this project.
>
> Victor

Solomon Mburu
P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!

Sent from Nairobi, Kenya