[kictanet] IG Discussions- Day 2 of 10: Infrastructure Issues-Submarine Cables

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:57:21 EAT 2009

Hi john,

Well, I had opted not to comment on this, but since you asked....

There are a number of different ways to go about major infrastructure
development:
1) For-Profit: Put together a business case with a clear
Return-On-Investment (ROI) benefit; go out and find the money, then build
and deploy - hopefully the market will respond well and the investors get
their return (e.g. SEACOM)
2) Means-to-an-end: Determine the total costs for the project, go to the
primary stakeholders; Oil companies in the case of oil pipelines, gas
companies in the case of gas companies, operators & ISPs in the case of
bandwidth; sell them the concept of delivering the commodity to themselves
at cost (or as near to cost as possible); set up an "Operations &
Maintenance" structure which levies the same parties; build and deploy; once
the bandwidth is delivered it's a "free-for-all" in the marketplace - with *
COSTS* at a very low level, prices will evenetually follow due to
competition (e.g. TEAMs and EASSY)

This is one of the main reasons why projects such as TEAMs and EASSY have
faced stiff opposition, criticism and outright attempted sabotage - because
they have the potential to cut the feet out from under any similar
commercial venture.

Regards,

Brian

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanx Sam, Victor, Brian, Faima, Mwende & Bill for your quick
> contributions...am sure there are more insights out there. Plse share using
> easily understandable wordings for the benefit of our international
> Listers...
>
> >>Bill, - "Bubudiu mbovu" - when I was growing up, this used to mean
> "misleading propaganda" was that your intepretation of the "TEAMS project
> not aiming to make money out of the cable" comment from Brian?
>
> walu.

Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
cell:  + 254 722 518 744