[kictanet] PS Ndemo, ECONET Scandal aand Vested Interests

mwananchi at hushmail.com mwananchi at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 16 09:30:22 EAT 2008

Wainaina,

The issues are several but lets not muddy the waters by mixing up
separate, distinct and in some of the ones you have listed
misinterpreted issues to revert back to what the opponents of
accountability and transparency did when they rushed in to silence,
resulting in a very energised thread on issues that some feel very
strongly about.

Naturally some will share the same views as those below and others
will disagree:

>A: That the PS (I&C) announce that policies shall be developed in
>an open, transparent and consultative manner. He also must
organise a
>forum to kickstart non-emotive talks by mid-November.

PS Ndemo so far has defended his proposal and has not yielded an
inch. The PS does not appear willing to incorporate alternative
views into policy making, and has not indicated the way forward as
yet. We thank him for responding however and ask him to remember
that he serves the greater Kenyan public not foreign interests and
in that light his proposal should be shelved for the sake of public
input.

Your suggestion is appropriate and the PS could also borrow a leaf
from CCK who engage in wide reaching public consultations that
invite parties to provide views in writing while also publishing
them before policies changes are implemented. On a matter so
critical as changes in local ownership reductions to ZERO percent
wider public consultations should be held or in the alternate the
cabinet and parliament can define this policy on behalf of all
Kenyans.

As a public servant the PS is duty bound to represent all Kenyans
and not selective groups of Kenyans or foreigners (a matter that
would run afoul of the law -- Public Officer Ethics Act).

>B: That PS Ndemo resigns and is replaced with a person of your
>choice.

Nobody has clearly called for PS Ndemo's resignation, if Ndemo has
received a specific request to do so he should let the public know.
The executive arm of government makes appointments to the office of
the PS, lets not twist issues of accountability and transparency
into matters of partisan politics. We want a better Kenya than
that, not a Kenya where one's own is the only acceptable choice
regardless of whether one can carry out the job or not.

Naturally if public servants feel that they are unable to serve the
Kenyan public without favour and not just foreigners and special
interests then they should make honourable decisions on whether to
continue with that office or not.

We are simply asking PS Ndemo to act in the interests of ALL
Kenyans and not to do by assumption, to respect and uphold the rule
of law so as to help Kenyans fight the rotten culture of impunity
and to carry out the duties of his office diligently and to the
best of his abilities. Naturally doing so does not grant one a
licence to act as one deems fit while forgetting who one works for.

>C: That the Econet licence, Kencall licence and related MoUs,
>contracts signed by PS (I&C) be cancelled.

1. The Econet licence was cancelled by the Minister for I&C. Econet
went
   to court in an attempt to overturn the decision and failed when
the
   High Court through Justice Ibrahim Mohammed made a final ruling
in the
   matter see HC1640/2004. The Econet licence was cancelled and thus
   remains cancelled as upheld by a court of law. We must respect
our
   institutions, our laws and the judiciary if we hope to bury the
rotten
   culture of acting with impunity kwenye kaburi la kusahau.

2. Kencall obtained its licence legally. It is not operating under
   the false pretence of operating on a valid licence that was
cancelled.
   Kencall has helped put Kenya on the BPO map. Opportunities or
   relaxations in policy available to Kencall should also be
availed to
   Kenyans serious about building our economy. There is no quarrel
with
   Kencall from this quarter on this, there may be in others.

   To thwart further speculation PS Ndemo should name the foreign
   characters who have been meeting him in his office under
   circumstances that would amount to blackmailing a government
official
   into submitting to their demands.

3. The MoUs are the matter of a tribunal appointed by the
President. PS
   Ndemo and the Minister for Energy have not told Kenyans of the
extent
   to which Kenyans were committed to. The MoU should be publicly
made
   available and released. The case of MOUs with foreigners, just
   shows that the PS and other government officials are putting
   foreigners ahead of Kenyans. Is PS Ndemo willing to sign an MOU
with
   Kenyans promising to work towards increasing their local
ownership
   percentages in ICT firms? I think not, we should not be
accountable to
   foreigners and fail to be accountable to our fellow citizens.
Does the
   MOU Ndemo sign grant Kenyans preferential access to Libya's ICT
   sector? Kenyans want to know what is in this MOUs which by all
   indications to date are lop sided and favour foreigners and their
   nations.

4. Contracts or agreements signed under false pretences should be
   cancelled. In any case they are invalid under laws of the land
as
   pertains to cancelled documents by public authority.

   The matter of an agreement that claimed to settle out of court a
case
   that was already out of court before the sham agreement by way
of a
   FINAL ruling should not be misused to subvert the rule of law
and our
   judiciary.

   We must put a STOP to the culture of impunity and rampant
disregard of
   the law and judiciary. If a public servant is sacked for
upholding the
   rule of law, let it be so, Kenyans will respect them for
standing up
   for what is right.

>D: That all stakeholders Govt., KICTANET, KIF, CA, etc organise an
>"ICT Investment" policy forum to be held in Nairobi around mid-
>November 2008.

5. Agreed to in principle, all stakeholders including public and
the
   Diaspora should be formally invited. The policy forum should
also
   involve friends of Kenya who realise the value of having Kenyans
   having increased ownership in the ICT sector more so fellow
Africans
   who are investing in our economy.

   However Kenyans must drive the discussion, the PS should come to
the
   forum with an open mind ready to incorporate the views of
Kenyans.

>I hope this shall help us focus on defining and achieving a common
>goal so that we desist from personal attacks on integrity, racial
>profiling and so on...

Some of us obviously feel very impassioned and disturbed at the
sheer nature of PS Ndemo's bulldozed actions. Personal and other
attacks will not help us define proper policy, let us respect one
another going forward.

I have to agree with you on this point and ask the self appointed
censors of non-concurring opinion to take note of what their
actions exacerbated. Asante.

Peterson

--
Click here to find the perfect picture with our powerful photo search features.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dI2gfxcy5JhZSrwtoKGNxH89RgFtnknCdDUWYNyC54f05Zo/