[kictanet] ICT Master Plan debate

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Tue Jun 17 20:55:52 EAT 2008

>From submissions so far;

1. There is a draft Master plan with a summary in circulation.

2. There is a general feeling that ICT projects are being implemented
in a disjointed manner.

3. The Ministry of Info&Comm. under Dr. Ndemo's leadership, has made
commendable progress in the ICT arena.

4. Alot of work remains to be done, including the finalisation of a
comprehensive Master Plan through a consultative process and honest
positions by all stakeholders.

5. The failure of Parliament to pass ICT-related Bills should be a
concern for all stakeholders (esp. the Media who had complaints about
the cross-ownership clause) and not an opportunity to shoot the
messenger.

6. We have come a long way from the days of fighting (with
policymakers/govt) for an National ICT Policy and must now shift gears
to a complemetary approach. That is the respectful way to go about
this debate as alluded to by Lucy.

7. Now, could the Ministry/PS kindly circulate electronic versions of
draft documents for a more informed discussion on this list? That
should put some flesh on this skeleton we have so far overworked.

Good day,
Wainaina

--
Made in Kenya Network