[kictanet] Election fiasco reveals Technological dinosaurs

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 17:17:45 EAT 2008

BTW, Kenya is bound by the DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES
ON FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION IN AFRICA; African Charter on
Human and Peoples' Rights Adopted in Banjul, The
Gambia, 23rd October 2002. ( Copy available )

--except--

III: Diversity

Freedom of expression imposes an obligation on the
authorities to take positive measures to promote
diversity, which include among other things:-

  * availability and promotion of a range of
information and ideas to the public;
  * pluralistic access to the media and other means of
communication, including by vulnerable or
  * marginalised groups, such as women, children and
refugees, as well as linguistic and cultural groups;
  * the promotion and protection of African voices,
including through media in local languages; and
  * the promotion of the use of local languages in
public affairs, including in the courts.

--ends--

Alex