[kictanet] promoting the ccTLDs

Bill Kagai mediacorp.research at mediacorp.co.ke
Fri Jun 22 09:12:50 EAT 2007

On 6/21/07, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I mean am trying to see the 'miracle' that .eac would do
> for us in light of the trends suffered by the individual
> .ke, .ug and .tz and I have not quite succeeded...plse
> could somebody educate me?

Am no expert by any means, but blue chips like Nation Media, EABL, KQ,
etc all follow a common unwritten primacy.Their websites reside on
[.com] and their email systems on [.co.ke].

My inference therefore is that this is a volumes game and [.co.ke] can
only make sense to 30+ million Kenyans which is insignificant in the
global economy. Promoting [.co.ke] can only get you thus far and any
campaign will only result in a storm albeit in a teacup. On the other
hand, [.eac] gives us an opportunity to reach a critical mass of
approx 110million (2% of the world population) and then we have a real
chance of the world noticing East Africa. But again, I might be
wrong!!