[Kictanet] Day 6 of 10: Best Business & Regulatory Modelforprovisioning OFC(EASsy, TEAMs, etc)

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Tue Jan 30 16:47:54 EAT 2007

A commercially orientated platform is needed, probably with government
soft loans which would then justify future regulatory control for the
good of the mwanchi's. However government should not be directly
involved. Open Access has always been around some call it universal
service access and is practiced under different flavors. I think private
entities should be encouraged to lay the fiber. All this will do is give
more choice for access and the market will take over.

So Micheal i think you and a number of other like minded people should
go ahead and build the pipe. What we should be doing is then lobying the
powers that be to give you all the necessary breaks to make it happen.
You have all been in business long enough to know how to make it work so
i really get bothered when civil servants who have never run a business
are tasked with laying the rules. Yes some rules to protect the users
are needed but again if the Pipe were the only link then yes. We all
seem to under estimate the powers the market place. In business you
ignore this power at your peril